Duddingston Golf Club
DGCDuddingston Golf Club
 
Set in the heart of the cityLocationCourse DetailsPGA ProfessionalContact
         
Duddingston Golf Club was formed in 1895 by the members of the insurance and banking fraternity in Edinburgh, who decided that the park owned by the Duke of Abercorn at Duddingston on the south-east of Arthur's Seat was the most suitable for their own course. The course was first laid out by Willie Park and was subsequently altered in the 1960's and 1970's by John Shade and Bill Biggar.
Club House1895
John Shade's son, Ronnie (RDBM - "right down the bloody middle"), is much the most famous of Duddingston's players, having won the Scottish Amateur Championship five years in a row, played in to Walker Cup four times and finished leading individual in the Eisenhower Trophy (effectively then the world amateur team championship) in 1966. Ronnie Shade took the name of Duddingston round the world and the Club in turn has welcomed visitors from around the world, including Open and US Masters champions over the years. The course, fairly described as undulating park land (and, indeed, the name in Gaelic means "sunny side of the hill") measures 6,420 yards. It is a very good test of golf, with the Braid Burn winding throughout the course and in play on a disturbingly large number of holes.
Duddingston 1898

The course is much respected in the Lothians as one of the best, with its demanding par fours being among the most memorable holes. The third and fourth seek out one's best shots, only one of them played with the wind! The eleventh (stroke index 1) requires two fine shots to reach a green, normally one club further away than it appears. The two Temple holes, the thirteenth and sixteenth, both require the drive
to be well-positioned, followed by an extremely accurate second shot, particularly at the thirteenth where the ground falls toward three tricky bunkers left of the green. The sixteenth requires a straight drive, since two large oak trees guard the green right and left. Again, one extra club is required for the second.

Duddingston as a club over the years has enjoyed tremendous success in local team events and much of this is due to the institution of the junior section in 1946, when it was noted by the council at the time that the youngsters needed to be inculcated with "the Duddingston fervour for competitive golf".

We hope that our visitors nowadays enjoy just the same fervour in competing with a course, of which the members are justifiably proud, and that the weather will let you play at its best "the sunny side of the hill".
Temple

top